Racing and Volunteering Together

My husband and I have been apart of a group called Addicts to Athletes for a little while now. We both have had addiction hit close within our families and have seen the damage it can cause. We love the idea of what this group does. Every Tuesday there is a meeting, but instead of coffee and cigarettes after we head out on a 3 mile run or walk. It is amazing to watch the distance that some of these addicts turned runners end up going and the goals that are achieved.

This weekend marked the annual AIIA 5k. Rory and I headed down early, meeting my mother there, to help with setup and anything that needed to be done race morning. My mother-in-law got there with our three kids to run the kids Going The Extra Mile run with Addy and Autumn. After the girls each got their own medals we got them busy volunteering as well, standing at the finish line handing out medals with the Grammy. While Grandma and Ryker kept busy behind the scenes.

Watching the girls run always makes me smile. I love the opportunity to do these things together as a family. Autumn has to be talked into a little more than Addy does, but she still gets after it smiling. Addy wants to do the 5ks now, she has decided that the kids races are too easy for her. I love her confidence and wish I could bottle up and sale it. 
But I also loved giving the kids the opportunity to volunteer at this race. We have not found enough volunteering opportunities for our kids. The me-me-me attitude runs rampant at times and I know that service is a great way to keep that attitude at bay. But it really comes down to us as parents finding those opportunities for our kids. Something new to add to the list.

Comments

  1. Girls fashion and their age are always inversely proportional. You have fantastic stuff on this blog that keep the girls young and beautiful with you fashion tips. Being a fashion artist I really appreciate your efforts and work.
    Cook at healthy smoothie ideas foods.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment