National Dog Day

My house is chaotic, it is no secret and anyone that knows us would probably laughingly agree. With four kids and one dog, an old yorkie named Harley, one may wonder what prompted a new puppy last spring. And not just any puppy, a lab, a very energetic puppy.

My husband and I had our reasons and we still do even after a few hundred dollars in repairs and replacements. One of which is my son Ryker, every boy needs a dog especially when that boy has three sisters.

Another big reason is that we love to run and go to the lake, neither of those things we can do with an old yorkie. We wanted a dog we could train to run a few miles on the road with us, a dog we could explore the trails with, a dog could jump in the water and swim circles around the kids. And in comes Joey.

A few things about running with a dog.

1) Don't start too young. They may double in size everyday, but that doesn't mean their bones and joints are ready to log miles quite yet. When I started running with Joey I would go out when my neighborhood was quiet, take him off his leash, and let him set pace for a mile. Even when on his leash I have always been very careful to let him set pace.

2) Make sure your dog is healthy and capable. When I started running with Joey I talked to the vet a little about it. We discussed distance, how often, and if it would be good for Joey. I got the go ahead and started having some fun.

3) Use a short leash. You don't want your dog running too far ahead or pulling you all over the place. Your best bet is to keep a short leash and your dog near by.

Remember a couple of these things and you will find yourself with a very enthusiastic training partner.

Comments