Fit Friday - Gumbo and Morning Workouts

Chicken and Smoked Sausage Gumbo with Rice will make momma proud, authentic gumbo right at home! Aaaaanndddd... it's Fit Fri-YAY!!! You know the drill-- The fabulous Nichole from Pure Clean Fitness is here to inspire us!! Chicken and Smoked Sausage Gumbo with Rice will make momma proud, authentic gumbo at home! www.cookingwithruthie.com Chicken and Smoked Sausage Gumbo with Rice will make momma proud, authentic gumbo at home! www.cookingwithruthie.com Chicken and Smoked Sausage Gumbo with Rice is a fantastic Fall recipe! Mmm-mmmm... I remember my mom making this for us when I was expecting Carter. I loved it and can not wait to have it again!!! I'm also craving these other Fall dishes right now-- ahhhh! My mouth. is. watering. Cauliflower Cheese Soup w/ Grilled Cheese Croutons -- Slow Cooker Chicken Taco Soup (the hubby LOVES this one) -- Potato Soup (Seriously craving this so bad rn. This is an unforgettable family fave!!!) Chicken and Smoked Sausage Gumbo with Rice will make momma proud, authentic gumbo at home! www.cookingwithruthie.com   Chicken and Smoked Sausage Gumbo with Rice will make momma proud, authentic gumbo at home! www.cookingwithruthie.com
Chicken and Smoked Sausage Gumbo with Rice
Recipe Type: Soup
Author: Ruthie A Knudsen
Prep time:
Cook time:
Total time:
Serves: 8
Chicken and Smoked Sausage Gumbo with Rice will make momma proud, authentic gumbo right at home!
Ingredients
  • 1 tablespoon + ¼ cup canola oil, divided
  • ½ pound smoked sausage, such as andouille or kielbasa, cut crosswise ½ inch thick
  • 1 tablespoon essence or creole seasoning (recipe follows)
  • 1 cup all purpose flour
  • 2 cups chopped onions
  • 1 cup celery, chopped
  • 1 cup bell pepper, chopped
  • 1 teaspoon salt
  • ¼ teaspoon cayenne
  • 3 bay leaves
  • 9 cups chicken broth
  • ½ cup chopped green onions
  • 2 tablespoons chopped parsley leaves
  • 1 tablespoon file powder
  • Hot sauce
  • Essence Creole Seasoning:
  • 2 ½ tablespoons paprika
  • 2 tablespoons sea salt
  • 2 tablespoons garlic powder
  • 1 tablespoon black pepper
  • 1 tablespoon onion powder
  • 1 tablespoon cayenne pepper
  • 1 tablespoon dried oregano
  • 1 tablespoon dried thyme
  • Combine all ingredients in small jar; mix well.
  • Rice:
  • 2 cups long-grain white rice
  • 4 cups chicken broth
  • 1 tablespoon butter
  • 1 1/2 teaspoons sea salt
  • 1 bay leaf
Instructions
  1. In a large stock pot or dutch oven heat one tablespoon of oil over medium high heat.
  2. Add the sausage and cook until well browned, approximately 8 minutes.
  3. Remove the sausage with a slotted spoon and drain on paper towels; set aside.
  4. Season chicken thighs with essence and add to the pot cooking in sausage fat.
  5. Cook over medium high heat until well browned, about 5-6 minutes.
  6. Remove the chicken from pan, and let cool, and then refrigerate until ready to use.
  7. Combine remaining ¼ cup oil with flour in the same dutch oven over medium heat.
  8. Cook; stirring slowly and constantly for 20-25 minutes, to make a dark roux the color of dark chocolate.
  9. Add the onions, celery, bell peppers and cook; stirring until wilted 4-5 minutes.
  10. Add the reserved sausage, salt, cayenne, and bay leaves and stir.
  11. Cook for 2 minutes, while stirring slowly pour chicken broth and cook until well combined.
  12. Bring mixture to a boil and then reduce the heat to a medium-low; cook uncovered for approximately 1 hour.
  13. Add the reserved chicken and continue simmering for another 1 ½ hours; skimming off any fat that rises to the surface.
  14. Remove the pot from heat.
  15. Using a slotted spoon remove the chicken and place on a cutting board to slightly cool.
  16. Pull the chicken meat from the bones and shred, discarding the bones and skin.
  17. Return the meat to the gumbo.
  18. Stir in the green onions, parsley, and file.
  19. Rice:
  20. In 2 quart sauce pan, combine rice, broth, butter, salt, and bay leaf; bring to boil.
  21. Reduce heat to low and simmer for 20 minutes or until all liquid is absorbed.
  22. Remove pan from heat and allow to rest 5 minutes- covered and undisturbed.
  23. Uncover and fluff with fork; remove bay leaf and serve.
  24. Spoon rice into the bottom of deep bowls or large cups and ladle the gumbo on top.
  25. Serve, passing hot sauce on the side.
Chicken and Smoked Sausage Gumbo with Rice is that sweater weather dish you've been waiting for-- bring on Fall!!! 

I am refocusing on the importance of morning workouts and starting the day out right. This is not only because I believe in it but also because I need the reminder of why I believe in it. I have gotten away from my early morning workouts and it has been hard to get them going again. A few days a week I have given up my early mornings to clients and I have found on the other days I want to sleep.
Back in the day I could get up regularly 5am or earlier, it is not happening so much these days. On the mornings I don't have to work I sleep until 6 or 6:30 and then it is time to get the kids up and going. My biggest struggle is that I have not gotten a good nights sleep in three years. I am one of those women that don't sleep well when pregnant and my baby, who is now 2.5 years old, rarely sleeps through the night. Generally once a week our house reminds silent at night; please, someone, tell me this will end soon. I know that I cannot and should not be getting up at 4:30am or 5am every day, I know I need sleep. But I also know that I have got to get it figured out, when I get up at 6am I need to get out the door and going, not sitting on my couch thinking about taking the dog for a run.
So today is a reminder for me and some of you others out there:

Number one is the most important reason for me.


Love always, 
Nichole, Ruthie & Madeliene

Comments