Workout Wednesday - Hills

I have a few different routes I debate over as I walk out my front door for a run. There are days when I am up for a little bit more of a challenge and I head towards the mountain, towards hills. And there are days when I want to focus on maintaining a certain speed, on those days I head towards the lake towards flat roads.  There are advantages either way, but today we are going to love our hills!

Hills are great for a few reasons. Hill running increases leg-muscle power, improves fitness, and uses the muscles of the legs, arms and core in ways that are different than running on flat surfaces. Hill workouts can also serve as an alternative to intervals on the track. 

One of the locations I teach at sits on top of the perfect 50 yard hill, my group loves this hill (maybe not loves, but they certainly know it).  Today's workout can be done on a treadmill, but if you can find your own 50-100 yards hill that will be preferable, and that is how I am going to write up and complete this workout.



As always be sure to include a warm-up and cool-down. Take a few minutes and make sure that body is ready to go.

Start at the base of the hill:
15 squats
3x RUN to the top of the hill and walk back down 
20 squats
2x RUN to the top of the hill and walk back down
25 squats
1x RUN to the top of the hill and walk back down

15 pushups
15 plank with corner bunny hops
12 pushups
12 plank with corner bunny hops
9 pushups
9 plank with corner bunny hops
6 pushups
6 plank with corner bunny hops
3 pushups
3 plank with corner bunny hops

3x RUN to the top of the hill and walk back down 

Perfect! Now enjoy the feeling of completing an awesome workout!

Comments