Little Bit of Running and Little Bit of Weights

I am a runner but I also have enjoyed lifting weights since I was 18. In college I worked for the football coach and I would get the guys summer lifting program, scale it WAY down to my level and do the same thing every summer. I didn't start running until I was in my mid 20s. Sure I did cardio before that. While I was in college I discovered that I studied best while moving. In other words, I could be found every day on a treadmill, elliptical machine, or a bike with a book propped open and a highlighter in hand. After I graduated I didn't need to study on a machine any more and I discovered that I enjoyed running.
Even though I enjoy doing both there are days I don't want to do either. Those are the days that I combine them into one fantastic workout. I always walk away feeling accomplished and happy that I did it.
This can be completed indoors or outside. You will need a running route or a treadmill, weights, and a mat to get on the ground.
Warm up for 10ish minutes, I generally run a mile progressing up to a solid pace. Then the workout begins! Half a mile at a HARD pace, jump of quick and grab your weights. 15 squats with a shoulder press, 12 pushups with a row on each arm, 9 v-ups, and 6 pull ups (yes, I have a pull up bar in my house) (I recognize that not all have a pull up bar available, instead do 6 bent over rows). Repeat this 4-5 times. Cool down with an easy half mile walk.
Cardio and weights accomplished for the day!
.

Comments

Post a Comment