Happy New Year! Let's Make Some Plans...


Happy New Year! I hope you all had a wonderful New Year and Holiday season, now it is time to get back on track and back in focus. I have already heard this type of comment from a few of my clients. They are ready to get back on schedule. So here is what I remind them of 3 things:

1) you need a schedule. This does not mean some sort of loosely pencil written schedule that says "go to the gym a few times this week." NO! It means you sit down and make a plan, write it in pen, and stick with it. It may say Monday run 3 miles and lift for 30 minutes, Tuesday Yoga class at 9:30, etc...It is a plan! Notice I did say written in pen, not blood. Life happens, you have to be willing to accept the fact that you may not be able to stick to the plan when you have 3 kids home throwing up. Instead of throwing yourself into a complete funk when that happens you accept it, deal with it, and do the best you can.


2) be realistic. When I get clients that come in and talk plans and goals I remind them to be realistic. When I have someone come to me and say they want a plan that requires 6 days a week of solid workouts we talk schedules and talk about what that really looks like. More often than not we scale that back to 4 days and go from there.

3) excellence is motivating, perfection is demoralizing. You cannot be perfect as you set out on new goals and new plans, life happens. But you do the best you can. This does not mean you seek out excuses, this means when legitimate things happen you accept them and do the best you can.


All 3 of these things tie back to one of my big focuses....BALANCE. You have a life and you have to live that life. You cannot be a complete person if your life revolves around the gym or if you are always worrying about what you are going to eat next. Make health and fitness apart of your life not your whole life.

Comments