Fit Friday - Yummy Energy Bites and Loving Us Some Abs

Happy Fit Friday everyone! I hope that it has been a wonderful week for you all. I am looking out at a backyard full of snow and already gearing up for the gym later this morning,  some of these snow mornings make me want to cuddle in for the day. After a couple hours in the morning with me energy crazed 3 year old the gym is calling to me though, if only for the ability to put him in the daycare and let him get some playtime in.
Ruthie from Whats Cooking With Ruthie is here with a yummy new recipe, Coconut Sunflower Seed Energy Bites. It looks wonderful! I love having a variety of these recipes for me to try out, energy bars and bites are a healthy and delicious staple to have in any busy house.

Coconut Sunflower Seeds Energy Bites are packed with all kinds of fabulous nutrition- a healthy raw snack!*coconut-sunflower-seeds-power-bites 1

 I love these little power energy bites... they're so simple to make and keep really well in the fridge in an airtight container for up to a week. (if they last that long!) I love to grab a couple on the way out the door for snow shoeing or outdoor adventures all year long! *coconut-sunflower-seeds-power-bites 3
 Here's a few more varieties for you to enjoy… Raw Bars or Bites are simply different shapes for the same type of raw bar recipe- Berry Medley Raw Bars, Chocolate Trail Mix Power Bites, Almond Joy Power Bites, Dark Chocolate Raw Bars, Healthy Power Bites, and Almond Power Bites. Any of these recipes can be pressed into a pan to make bars or rolled into balls to make bites! Any shape you make them just put them in an air tight container and then into the fridge… they’ll easily keep for up to week. (if they stay around that long) *coconut-sunflower-seeds-power-bites 5
Coconut, Sunflower Seed, Power Bites
Recipe Type: Appetiser
Author: Ruthie
Prep time:
Total time:
Serves: 18
Ingredients
  • 1 cup whole oats
  • 1/2 cup sunflower seed butter
  • 1/3 cup honey
  • 1/4 cup milled flax seed
  • 1/4 cup chai seeds
  • 1/2 cup chocolate covered sunflowers seeds (from trader joes)
  • 1/4 cup shredded coconut
Instructions
  1. Combine all ingredients in mixing bowl.
  2. Using a wooden spoon; stir until combined.
  3. Roll into 1 inch balls.
  4. Store in air tight container and refrigerate uneaten bites.
  5. Enjoy!
*coconut-sunflower-seeds-power-bites 4

Thanks Ruthie! Always great to have some fun healthy snacks on hand!

This weekend is all about food for many of us out there. It is Super Bowl Sunday and I know that means a weekend with plenty of food, friends, and family. I know that is what my weekend will be and I am excited! I recognize this as I give my fit tips for the week. This week is all about abs. Why? Because as I head into my 3rd trimester I am envious of all the awesome abs I see out there. (Really I am envious of everyone out there that can see their feet.)
Today we are going to add some fun workouts to add to your bag of tricks.

PLANKS
We are starting with some variations of planks. Let's talk about a proper plank. I know everyone thinks they can do a plank, but I see some horrible planks at the gym. So remember to keep your core and back engaged. This means to not let your low back bow and don't sink through your shoulder blades. Back should be FLAT! Most often we lose form when we are going for ridiculously long planks.  I feel that more reps of shorter (15-30 sec) planks are much more effective than 1+min planks.
The workout:
Right side plank hold 15 seconds
Center side plank hold 15 seconds
Left side plank hold 15 seconds
Rpt 3x

Right side plank rotations. From your right side rotate your body and touch left elbow to the floor 15x.
Repeat on the left side.

Center plank with alternating leg raises. Keep leg straight and lift 3 inches off the floor slowly. Alternate left and right leg 20x.

After your planks flip over and finish up with 
15 full situps
15 leg drops
12 full situps
12 leg drops
9 full situps
9 leg drops
6 full situps
6 leg drops
3 full situps
3 leg drops

Now....be happy with a job well done! 
Remember, this workout won't make up for a night of cookie dough ice cream. Nutrition is a vital part of those awesome abs. 
Happy Fit Friday! Much Love and Peace~ Nichole and Ruthie

Comments