Fit Friday - Smoothies

Hello all! It is Friday, which means it is Fit Friday here. Ruthie from Cooking with Ruthie is here with a yummy smoothie recipe this week. Smoothies are great for post workout workout or even just a yummy shot of daily nutrition. Enjoy!

Blueberry Chia Chocolate Smoothie is a healthy workout recovery! Blueberry Chia Chocolate Smoothie on www.cookingwithruthie.com is a healthy workout recovery!
If you're into sweating like I'm into sweating when I hit a session of hot yoga then we are all about the recovery! I've practiced Bikram Yoga for several years now, but it wasn't until recently that a friend of mine suggested drinking chocolate milk for helping me rehydrate, that I was able to feel back to normal in a jiffy. It really does make an amazing difference. The research on chocolate milk as a recovery drink. As you may recall, the purpose of post-workout recovery is to replenish glycogen (sugar) stores in the muscle and start the process of protein synthesis (muscle rebuilding) so that your body is ready for the next workout. Here's another interesting article I found "Chocolate Milk Refuels Muscles after Workouts" on Web MD for some additional info. Blueberry Chia Chocolate Smoothie on www.cookingwithruthie.com is a healthy workout recovery!
 SO I mixed my new found love of chocolate milk with the healthy benefits of blueberries, bananas, and chia seeds into a smoothie that tastes fresh and healthy and the a fabulous way to recover from your workouts!

Blueberry Chia Chocolate Smoothie
Recipe Type: Beverage
Author: Ruthie
Prep time:
Total time:
Serves: 2
Ingredients
  • 1 cup chocolate milk
  • 3/4 cup frozen blueberries
  • 1 frozen banana
  • 1 tablespoon chia seeds
  • 1/2 cup ice cubes
Instructions
  1. Combine all ingredients in blender and blend until smooth.
  2. Enjoy!
  Blueberry Chia Chocolate Smoothie on www.cookingwithruthie.com is a healthy workout recovery!

Blueberry Chia Chocolate Smoothie is quick and easy to make plus it'll help you be ready for your next workout!

Ruthie offered up a great version of her own smoothie, and it certainly sounds delicious. I wanted to tell you all about my own green smoothies and offer you a few reasons as to why green smoothies are such a great way to go.

My own green smoothie always starts with 1 cup of unsweetened almond milk and 1 banana or 1 green apple. After that I shove in as much spinach and kale mixture as I can (approx 2-3 cups). Mix and drink.

Now, I admit that this is a little too green for a lot of people, but that is the great thing about making your smoothie, you get to make it how you want it. However, I do try to emphasize that this is supposed to be a green smoothie. If you are making it with juice, 2-3 cups of fruit, and 10 spinach leaves it is not a green smoothie. It will probably be delicious, and healthier than a milk shake, but it will have a lot higher calories and, depending on the juice, a higher sugar content.

If my husband and I are sharing I will generally throw in strawberry or peach Chobani yogurt, fresh lime juice, and possibly some frozen berries. He needs it a little sweeter than I do.

I also have days that just don't seem to stop or I simply don't feel like making a green smoothie. On those days I have a cheat, Purium green drinks. Those are easy because I just mix up water and some powder. I know there are a lot of versions of this, all I am going to say is read labels and do your research.

I have always had problems with my digestive system and ulcers, my body is just more acidic than it should be. After a lot of research and talking to a few doctors that take a more holistic approach I decided that I needed A LOT more veggies in my system. That is when I really started to add green smoothies regularly to my day and it has helped more than I can ever begin to explain.

I have gone through phases of adding different ingredients to my smoothie (chia seeds, cinnamon, etc) but I generally get lazy and/or forgetful when shopping and revert back to my core.

Why are green smoothies something to consider for yourself?
I have already told you my number one reason. Let me tell you a few other benefits I have found for myself.

1) Reduce sugar cravings. I have found that on days I have a green smoothie my sugar cravings are pretty non-existent, especially those mid-afternoon crashes we all experience.

2) It is a super easy way for me to get in veggies. A bag of spinach is ready to go. No chopping and prep work needed. I have found that the more work my veggies take to eat the more likely it is that they will end up spoiled and in the trash.

3) I just feel better. I don't care if this is mental or physical, I like feeling better and healthier. Who doesn't?

If you aren't already drinking green smoothies I challenge you to start. Maybe a green smoothie scares you to start with, instead start with a great healthy one like the Blueberry Chia Chocolate Smoothie Ruthie provided for us. If you already enjoy a daily smoothie you can always mix it up a bit!

 Happy Fit Friday and we hope you have a wonderful weekend!
 Much Love and Peace~ Nichole and Ruthie

Comments