Fit Friday - Veggies and Slumps

It is Fit Friday....and April! Yay! I have so enjoyed doing these Fit Fridays with Ruthie from Cooking with Ruthie and I hope you guys have too. Today she is bringing us a delicious salad. I have so many clients that tell me they don't like salad or don't want to eat salad very often. I get it. But I also know that those people aren't stepping out of their little boxes and making delicious salads like this. Step out and enjoy!
Along with the many discussions I have with clients on food slumps another common discussion is exercise/fitness slumps. Keep on  reading after you are inspired with your nutrition to get some ideas on how to break past those fitness slumps.

Roasted Butternut Squash, Feta, and Pine Nut Salad is one of my favorite way to get those five-a-day veggies!
Butternut Squash, Feta, Pine Nut Salad on www.cookingwithruthie.com is one my favorite way to get my veggies!
 I just love butternut squash and I just happened to have one hanging around the kitchen and needing to be used up, so here's the creation that came of it! I ate some of the squash when it was piping hot out of the oven with sea salt and olive oil. Then refrigerated some and create this salad for lunch or dinner the next day. I'm sorta of known among my family and friends for my delicious salad creations~ I love to find delightful ways to combine healthy ingredients and make eating vegetables an adventure!
Butternut Squash, Feta, Pine Nut Salad on www.cookingwithruthie.com is one my favorite way to get my veggies!
 Have ever eaten cooked butternut squash cold before? It's actually just as good as when it's served warm. If you're a butternut squash lover than this salad will be one of your favorite ways to get your veggies too!
Butternut Squash, Feta, Pine Nut Salad on www.cookingwithruthie.com is one my favorite way to get my veggies!
Roasted Butternut Squash, Feta, and Pine Nut Salad
Recipe Type: Salad
Author: Ruthie
Prep time:
Cook time:
Total time:
Serves: 4
Ingredients
  • 1 butternut squash
  • 1/4 cup olive oil
  • 2-3 teaspoons coarse sea salt
  • 1 teaspoon fresh cracked pepper
  • 1/4 cup dark brown sugar
  • 4 cups mixed spicy spinach greens (from trader joes)
  • 4 pieces roasted butternut squash, cubed
  • 1/4 cup toasted pinenuts
  • 2 ounces feta cheese, crumbled
  • coarse sea salt and pepper, to taste
  • olive oil and balsamic vinegar, for serving
Instructions
  1. Roasted Butternut Squash:
  2. Preheat oven 450 degrees F.
  3. Peel and de-seed squash, cut into 8 sections.
  4. Rub with olive oil, sprinkle sea salt and pepper.
  5. Bake 15 minutes, evenly sprinkle 1/4 cup dark brown sugar on squash.
  6. Bake additional 5-10 minutes until soft and very toasted.
  7. Cool to warm and cut desired amount into cubes for salad.
  8. Store the remaining squash in air tight container for up to a week.
  9. Salad:
  10. Divide salad greens onto 4 serving plates.
  11. Divide squash cubes between plates.
  12. Sprinkle feta cheese and pine nuts evenly between plates.
  13. Top with sea salt and fresh pepper.
  14. Serve with olive oil and balsamic vinegar.
  15. Enjoy!
Butternut Squash, Feta, Pine Nut Salad on www.cookingwithruthie.com is one my favorite way to get my veggies!

Roasted Butternut Squash, Feta, and Pine Nut Salad is extra fabulous when you grab a crusty loaf of bread at the store to go along with it! Delish!!

Thanks Ruthie! That sounds amazing!

After an discussion with one of my favorite clients this week I started thinking more about those fitness slumps that we all get in. You know those days (or maybe even weeks) when we would rather sleep in, go hang out with friends, eat some cookies, or even just get sucked into our latest Netflix series. So how do we get past those moments?


1)  Change it up! Fit Fridays have provided an abundance of new workouts for you to give a try. If you are a runner or cyclist try a new route, go faster or go farther. As a runner I hit the trails when I just can't deal with running on the road. When I am bored with my lifting a try out a new class or find a new routine to give a whirl.




2) Find a friend to workout with. A friend makes you accountable. They also help you pass the time by chatting with you and cheering you on. My friends have definitely kept me running on days when getting out there seems daunting.  




3) Track your progress and your workouts. I have a workout journal that I write everything down in. I record my miles and the type of running I am doing (speed, long, temps, etc). I record my spin classes and lifting times. This helps me keep track of what I have been doing and what has been lacking. I also just love to see my mileage at the end of each week/month/year. 





4) Goals! This can be a race, an upcoming marathon definitely helps get me out the door for a long run. Short term goals are also helpful, after 20 workouts treat yourself to a new workout top. Don't make all of your goals based on a number on the scale, these goals can easily be forgotten and frustrating! 




These are just 4 ways to help get past those days where we "just don't wanna....."  Find what works for you and get out there!

Happy Fit Friday! Much Love and Peace~ Nichole and Ruthie

Comments