I spent a few hours this week getting together some info for a few of my clients on carb cycling. I have done this with much hesitation, but I have come to face the fact that not everyone likes my approach to nutrition. But hey, to each their own.
My approach to nutrition is fairly simple, eat healthy. I don't believe in diets or plans, I don't track my food, and I don't only eat certain foods. Instead I try to make healthy choices most of the time. Before I get to eat treats I have to get in 5+ servings of veggies that day. I keep lots of fresh fruit in the house for sweet cravings. When I am hungry I eat, if I am not hungry I don't. It really is pretty easy and it works for me.

I don't like to track food because my brain gets way too obsessed with food. What am I going to eat next? What did I just eat? Did that put me over on my fats/carbs/proteins? What am I going to eat if I go out with my friends? As you can see, this is not a healthy balanced approach to life.

I also don't like to have no-no foods. I get fixated on certain foods and can't seem to get past that craving. Instead I can "earn" my treats by eating enough healthy stuff first.

This is the way I teach a lot of my clients. I give them healthy options for different meals and snacks. I give them general guidelines, but I don't push them into any one direction. Lately I have been asked a lot about specific diets and plans. I have been asked about macros, carb cycling, ketosis, etc. So this week I sat down and did my research. After looking up studies, plans, etc I decided that carb cycling was the one that I could most easily present to my clients. The one I could most agree with and present without a frustrated sound in my voice. 

What I have decided I need to most emphasize is that this can't be life. If you find a HEALTHY plan that helps you get your nutrition where it needs to be that is great. But don't stop living life so that you can follow a specific nutrition plan. 

I realize this is much easier said than done. I present it as something so easy, and it can be. Before it is easy though you need to find your motivation, make the habits, and learn to live it. That road can be a hard one for many, especially after a life time of not living it. If you need a plan to help get you in that direction, great! Use it, live it, and get there.

Comments