How Do I Drown Out the World?

I love my quiet Sunday musings, even running with a new running buddy my mind still has so much more opportunity to wander than in the midst of the wonderful chaoticness of my life. Don't get me wrong, I love my life and I wouldn't change it at all, but it is chaotic. 

As I ran this morning I thought about a conversation I had with my 6 year old sitting on a house boat last week. A place that is kid heaven, especially if your kids are like mine. Sitting next to me she poked her calf and told me that she has fat legs. Of course I quickly respond with a "No you don't" but she tells me that other kids tell her that. So I show her my calves, I show her how they flex and we talk about strong muscular legs and being fast. 

Throughout this conversation my heart is hurting that I am even having it with my 6 year old daughter. Not a teenager or even a tween that is coming into her body body a sweet innocent 6 year old.

How do I fix it as a mom? As parents how do we assure that our voices, our words, are louder than anyone else's? I wish it was an easy answer. I wish that it was as simple as telling your kids you love them and all will be perfect. But we all know that isn't the case. I want a stronger and better answer from a stronger and better professional. Until I get one I will do what I feel is best as a mom, I will make sure my kids know I love them, I will tell them they are beautiful and strong and wonderful. And I will treat myself the same because I know if my kids hear me talk negative about myself, if they see me knit-pick at my flaws they will think it is okay to look for the flaws and dwell on them instead of look for the beauty and the wonderfulness of ourselves. 

Comments