Fit Friday - All About Food

Another week has flown by and we are all about food today at Fit Friday. Ruthie, Cooking with Ruthie, is here with a delicious treat. I love frozen bananas, you will find them regularly in my freezer. She has some yummy directions to make my already good frozen banana absolutely devine....yay!

Dark Chocolate Banana Pops are a creamy, healthy, decadent treat! Delish!! Like, delish x's 1000 :) Dark Chocolate Banana Pops on www.cookingwithruthie.com is creamy, healthy, decadent treat! Delish!!
Banana's have a secret! Really. It's a pretty well kept secret in some neck of the woods... when frozen they turn soooooo creamy and smooth you can hardly believe they're a banana! Except, obvious, for the banana shape but besides that you'd think you were eating ice cream :) Dark Chocolate Banana Pops on www.cookingwithruthie.com is creamy, healthy, decadent treat! Delish!!
 Hold on tight cuz we are about to go over the top and drizzle dark chocolate all over them. Yep. PLUS, we are adding a sprinkle of toasted coconut, sliced almonds, chocolate covered sunflower seeds, granola, or even a smear of peanut butter! Dark Chocolate Banana Pops are delish x's 1000!! Dark Chocolate Banana Pops on www.cookingwithruthie.com is creamy, healthy, decadent treat! Delish!!
 Dark Chocolate Banana Pops are fabulous anytime of year. I love to make up 5 or 6 and keep them on hand in the freezer~ all they need is a air tight bag and they'll fresh and fabulous for up to 3 weeks. I gotta admit that I get pretty creative in hiding my Dark Chocolate Banana Pops in the freezer or they totally disappear right before my very eyes! You may also enjoy our Chocolate, Almond Banana Bites or Peanut Butter Chocolate Banana Freeze too! Dark Chocolate Banana Pops on www.cookingwithruthie.com is creamy, healthy, decadent treat! Delish!!

Dark Chocolate Banana Pops
Recipe Type: Dessert
Author: Ruthie
Prep time:
Cook time:
Total time:
Serves: 6
Ingredients
  • 5-6 ripe bananas
  • 1/2 cup dark chocolate chips
  • 5-6 wooden popsicle sticks
  • toppings of choice: sliced almonds, chocolate covered sunflower seeds, toasted coconut, peanut butter, granola
Instructions
  1. Peel each banana, insert popsicle stick half way into banana.
  2. Place in glass baking dish.
  3. Repeat with additional bananas, cover with plastic wrap, cover and freeze 3 hours or until solid.
  4. Once frozen; melt dark chocolate chips in a microwave safe bowl for 30 seconds, stir, microwave 15 seconds more and stir well, repeat 15 seconds more if necessary.
  5. Place frozen banana pops on parchment paper.
  6. Working with one banana pop at time, drizzle with chocolate, sprinkle on topping, repeat with next banana pop.
  7. Chocolate will set quickly on frozen bananas.
  8. Serve immediately or place in a gallon freezer plastic bag and freeze.
  9. Will keep for up to 3 weeks.
  10. Enjoy!

Dark Chocolate Banana Pops will be your new favorite healthy treat!


 Show original message Here is a secret...I love food! This is actually not much of a secret if you know me. Working with Ruthie has been so much fun for me, a new recipe to try out every week is great. My husband and I have taken cooking classes together and come home to try out whatever we learn on the kids. I am constantly getting asked about supplements, specifically protein powders. I get asked about certain brands, what I look for, and ones to avoid. The only one of those questions I can honestly answer is the last, I avoid ALL of them.

Do I make protein pancakes? Sure. I throw an egg into my kids pancake mix on a regular basis. That way they get pancakes, but I know there is something a little more than carbs and syrup in their breakfast. If I could just get them to eat 'em with a little peanut butter I would feel better knowing that they wouldn't be starving quite so fast.

My point to that example is simple, I believe in getting my nutrition from real food. I have done the protein powders, but it has been a few years since you could find a tub of protein in my pantry.
I have yet to find a protein bar I like as much as energy bites or bars I make myself. That doesn't mean there aren't some good ones out there, I just prefer to make my own.
So is it worth it? Absolutely. Is it easy? Not always. But here are some ideas:

1) Experiment with other types of grains. We all love quinoa!
2) Keep nuts and seeds on hand. Snack on em and throw them in different recipes.
3) Greek yogurt instead of regular yogurt.
4) Enjoy some avocado!
5) Add egg whites to oatmeal, pancakes, etc.
6) Cottage cheese is delicious and can be a part of lots of yummy snacks. My 6 year old loves cottage cheese and salsa with wheat thins.
7) Think outside of chicken. Protein is in plenty of things besides chicken!

This does mean that you have to plan. But it is worth it!

Happy Fit Friday!! 
Much Love and Peace~ Nichole and Ruthie

Comments