Another fantastic Fit Friday is here! Ruthie is bringing some Irish spirit with a traditional Irish Dinner. I am looking a little further down the calendar towards summer with a fun core workout to get your summer body rocking!
Irish Corned Beef with Cabbage is a classic dish that's fun dinner to make in celebration of St. Patricks Day!
Irish Corned Beef with Cabbage is always a festive meal in the month of March! I'm Irish and so I love to fill the whole month with some good ole' Irish cooking. Wednesday's Irish Soda Farls are part of the photo's with our Irish Corned Beef with Cabbage and actually make a delightful side dish to the meal.
In my Irish Corned Beef with Cabbage recipe I recommend trimming all the visible fat before cooking it, I promise it'll still have amazing flavor and less calories without the layer of fat on the beef. The spices, beef broth, and vegetables make it so, so, so good!
One day I dream to visit Ireland during the St Patrick's Festival, Ireland's national celebration of identity, arts and culture, will showcase the very best of Irish and international talent and entertainment with a whole host of fun festivities.
I'd love to taste all the amazing food, be apart of the parade, and be immersed in all the festivities of the holiday!
You may also enjoy my Slow Cooker Irish Stew or Irish Soda Bread too... and there will be many more delightful Irish recipes making their appearance over on the blog in the next couple of weeks! I can't wait to share them with you all :)
Irish Corned Beef with Cabbage
- 3 pounds flat cut corned beef
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/2 cup dry red wine (I used cabernet sauvignon) or beef broth
- 1 cup beef broth
- 1 tablespoon worcestershire sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon dry mustard
- 1 teaspoon caraway seeds
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 cloves of garlic, minced
- 1 medium yellow onion, cut into wedges
- 1 small head green cabbage, cut into wedges
- 5-6 carrots, peeled and cut into 2 inch sections
- 4 celery stalks, cut into 2 inch sections
- 6 medium potatoes, peeled and quartered
- Rinse beef in cold water and remove visible fat as desired.
- In dutch oven or heavy bottom stock pot, heat oil over medium high until hot.
- Brown beef on all sides over, adding 1/4 cup of red wine half way through and remaining at the end of browning- scraping up bits and pieces from the pan.
- Add beef broth, worcestershire, dry mustard, caraway seeds, black pepper, bay leaf, garlic, and onion around beef in pot.
- Cover and reduce to simmer for 3 hours.
- Add potatoes, celery, carrots, and lastly cabbage to dutch oven, cook for 20-30 minutes until vegetables are softened.
- Arrange beef and vegetables on platter and cover.
- Bring remaining juices to boil in pot and allow to reduce by half, serve as sauce.
Irish Corned Beef with Cabbage has just got to be apart of your families St. Patricks Day menu this year!
We are working a killer core workout today with that summer sunshine in mind!
We have three rounds of fun here folks. Complete each round twice before moving to the next round.
Have a wonderful Friday!
Much Love and Peace~
Nichole and Ruthie