Workout Wednesday - Summer Solstice

The first day of summer and we are supposed to hit 100 degrees, it is a toasty first day of summer at my house! It is also a taper week for me, half marathon on Saturday and I want to be ready to rock it! I have decided to welcome the first day of summer with the traditional yoga summer solstice workout. This will also be a great thing for my body during a taper week.

SolsticeIt is considered auspicious to practice Surya Namaskar at the time of summer solstice, to connect with and build upon the enlivening solar energies that are pulsating within us now. Get up at dawn, face east, and do 108 repetitions of Surya Namaskar sequence. If that seems a bit ambitious, or you’re feeling rushed (or just tuckered out), simply do one reverent bow to honor the sun.

I am adjusting this for me. 1) I didn't get up at dawn and get yoga done. Instead I got up at 5:30 to a dog that needed to go out. I rolled over and told my husband to take care of it. And then my 1 year old promptly woke up. 

I also am not going to do 108 repetitions. Instead I am going to aim for half of that (54), or whatever I can get done in 20 minutes, which is about all the peace I can hope for with 4 kids and 2 dogs. Happy summer days!


Comments